Clearing some SEGA CD screenshots

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
Solidé
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: All major Metal Gear Solid Games & MGA's, and other spinoffs.
Policenauts for Playstation, Saturn and 3DO.
Snatcher for PC Engine, Saturn and Sega CD.
Zone of the enders games for PS2.
Boktai games and Lunar Knights.
PSN: Solide18

Clearing some SEGA CD screenshots

Post by Solidé »

This is something i've been doing lately.
I'm trying to clear pixelation out from SEGA CD screenshots, so i could use them in hi-res wallpapers, signatures and other graphics. It's actually very difficult and since i'm not anykind of pofessional in this work so sometimes i think that i have not a clue what the heck i'm trying to do. Usually i just try different kind of effects, adjusting settings, blurring and so on. Most of the time results are just shit but this time i actually suprised myself.

I'm using paint shop pro and i adjusted 'digital camera noise removal', contrast and enhanced coloursatiety.
Does someone else here tryed to do this, and if so post your results. I would like to see how good someone has cleared screenshots =)

Here's some of my results:
Attachments
result 1
result 1
result 2
result 2
result 3
result 3
http://hkfin.org/ Finnish Hideo Kojima Fan Forum
snatchernaut
Runner
Favorite Game: snatcher

Re: Clearing some SEGA CD screenshots

Post by snatchernaut »

looks good nice one.
but in my own opinion im sorry to say i kind of like the old pixly versions. im kind of one of those people if it aint broke dont fix it.
but good work none the less
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Cool. They almost look like they were drawn by hand.
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Ah, you're making your problem worse by turning on the aspect ratio correction in Gens (that looks like what you're using). It uses crappy nearest-neighbor filtering to stretch the 256x224 pixels to 4:3. Just turn it off, filter, and then correct to 4:3 (if you even want to, some people are happy never correcting the ratio).

And you shouldn't even be using Gens. Use Fusion; the filtering is WAY better. Just experiment around with the filters in both emulators but you do want to turn off the aspect ratio correction.
Jack Stern
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
PSN: JackStern

Post by Jack Stern »

Too much blur, you can barely see Gillian's eyes in some pics.
Solidé
Captain
Kojima games owned: All major Metal Gear Solid Games & MGA's, and other spinoffs.

Post by Solidé »

8bitsonic wrote:Ah, you're making your problem worse by turning on the aspect ratio correction in Gens (that looks like what you're using). It uses crappy nearest-neighbor filtering to stretch the 256x224 pixels to 4:3. Just turn it off, filter, and then correct to 4:3 (if you even want to, some people are happy never correcting the ratio).
hmm... i always tought Sega genesis games are actually on 320x240 pixel resolution.
Am i wrong about this then? (But i'm playing ther game on double resolution so that the screen would be satisfid size)

But yeah, i admit that those screens i tried to clear up aren't really that good. Actually the one of Randam looks fine, but others doesn't. And that's because the Randam screen has more dark colors which kind of makes it to look better and not too blurry.
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Solidé wrote:
8bitsonic wrote:Ah, you're making your problem worse by turning on the aspect ratio correction in Gens (that looks like what you're using). It uses crappy nearest-neighbor filtering to stretch the 256x224 pixels to 4:3. Just turn it off, filter, and then correct to 4:3 (if you even want to, some people are happy never correcting the ratio).
hmm... i always tought Sega genesis games are actually on 320x240 pixel resolution.
Am i wrong about this then? (But i'm playing ther game on double resolution so that the screen would be satisfid size)

But yeah, i admit that those screens i tried to clear up aren't really that good. Actually the one of Randam looks fine, but others doesn't. And that's because the Randam screen has more dark colors which kind of makes it to look better and not too blurry.
All Genesis games run at either 320x224 (almost 4:3 but not quite) or 256x224 resolution. Most SG/SCD/32X games run at 320x224, but Snatcher was converted from the PC-Engine, where it ran at 256x224 (like most PCE games), and obviously most of the graphics are simply ported over. And you're going to have a problem removing the pixelation in any case, because the resolution is so low. I think Gens has some sort of fancy filter that makes the picture look very high resolution, though sometimes it looks kinda weird... SCUMMvm has the same filter. I think it's called "HQ2x" or something like that, maybe try it?
Mr. Seed
Runner
Kojima games owned: Most

Post by Mr. Seed »

Out of interest, what exactly are you trying to achieve? I looks like you've used a surface blur or smart blur filter in photoshop...
"Hey, I only do liquid sky...dude!"
Solidé
Captain

Post by Solidé »

Mr. Seed wrote:Out of interest, what exactly are you trying to achieve? I looks like you've used a surface blur or smart blur filter in photoshop...
Just like i said. i was trying to make screenshots more prettier and removing pixelation so they could look more nicer and then use the screenshots on different kind of graphics.
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

I admit, at first glance, they brought to mind heavily anime stills, but to fully cure something like that, you'd need someone to hand draw the frames all over again... Someone with talent and dedication. And a crapload of time.