Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Re: Current Project Status (12/19/08): Alpha Testing

Post by Charlie Johnson »

Slowbeef, I just want to cuddle you.

I don't know for how long I'll keep cuddling you, maybe for 4 -5 minutes, maybe even longer. Because you deserve it.

Just tell me where you live and I'll come visit you!

And then we cuddle.
Pizuz
Runner
Favorite Game: Let me see... probably Xenogears
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner

Post by Pizuz »

Wieso kriegen hier plötzlich alle so komische homoerotische Tendenzen?!?
XenoMorph
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, MGS 1, 2, 3 and Metal Gear 1.

Post by XenoMorph »

If it's not too late to post an opinion on the telops, I say keep the original graphics and provide a translation beneath the picture screen (where in-game text is shown).

Also, to our German friend who thought he was being clever, the word "homoerotische" isn't all that hard to figure out. Speaking in German does not make you cryptic.
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Post by Charlie Johnson »

Pizuz wrote:Wieso kriegen hier plötzlich alle so komische homoerotische Tendenzen?!?
Sorry mate, when I said I'd want to cuddle Slowbeef I meant it in a non-gay way, so I'm definitly not going to do THAT with you, no way in hell. Please forgve me if I've gotten your hopes up and I hope you'll still find your true love someday, wherever he might be. I really do. Good luck!
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

XenoMorph wrote:If it's not too late to post an opinion on the telops, I say keep the original graphics and provide a translation beneath the picture screen (where in-game text is shown).
We decided to translate the graphics and allow the player to turn them on or off in the options menu.
XenoMorph
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, MGS 1, 2, 3 and Metal Gear 1.

Post by XenoMorph »

Works for me. Now, I know this is kinda early but... Anything new to tell us about progress? Excuse my Finnish insensitivity, but I'm really bored and that was the only thing that came to mind.
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

slowbeef's post at the top of this page reflects our current status.
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Post by el_ash »

I can't give you guy's enough props/credit for doing this!
take your sweet ass time with this, i don't care how long it takes....

The team is doing an AMAZING JOB!
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Pizuz
Runner
Favorite Game: Let me see... probably Xenogears
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner

Post by Pizuz »

XenoMorph wrote:Also, to our German friend who thought he was being clever, the word "homoerotische" isn't all that hard to figure out. Speaking in German does not make you cryptic.
If I had wanted to be cryptic, I'd have written "schwul". Or "tuntig" or "warm" or "andersrum" or something. Anyway, props for figuring that out, mate ;)
abhi

Post by abhi »

Actually got a question, being a Brit

I love hearing American voices, so we will we have a white guy and a black guy playing the voices of the charcters of the Mel Gibson and Danny Glover lookalike

Myabe the black dude will say ''I am waiting too long for this shit'' a reference to how long it took to come out

LOL, just joking but seriously which voices will we hear ?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

abhi wrote:Actually got a question, being a Brit

I love hearing American voices, so we will we have a white guy and a black guy playing the voices of the charcters of the Mel Gibson and Danny Glover lookalike

Myabe the black dude will say ''I am waiting too long for this shit'' a reference to how long it took to come out

LOL, just joking but seriously which voices will we hear ?
We're not doing anything with the voices. It'll have the original Japanese voice acting.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

If only we had Dan and Mel's phone numbers...
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

As promised, I wanted to start talking about some translation-related issues as we move nearer release.

Just to recap, we haven't had to cut any text from the game, thanks to the inimitable slowbeef. Not something you want to be forced to do.

We haven't changed any character or place names either. The only changes we've made have been aesthetic, like Hojyo-->Hojo and Gatse-->Gates.

The Snatcher references have been carefully rewritten to match the Sega CD version, so that they make sense for people who have played the game, which I'm guessing would be anyone reading this. I won't give any examples so as not to spoil anything....

Well, there's not much else to say about these, but I thought they were worth mentioning.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Marc wrote:Just to recap, we haven't had to cut any text from the game, thanks to the inimitable slowbeef. Not something you want to be forced to do.
For technical reasons I can't get into, though, Jonathan Ingram is now known as Hotpants McGee.
Kirbysuperstar
Favorite Game: Sonic 2
PSN: Kirbysuperstar
Xbox Live: Kirbysuperstar2

Post by Kirbysuperstar »

slowbeef wrote:Jonathan Ingram is now known as Hotpants McGee.
I approve wholeheartedly.
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

I just wonder if Konami would have had hired on the Snatcher voice actors to do Policenauts?
...had they decided to port it for us...(bad konami!)

that would have kicked so much ass!
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
abhi

Post by abhi »

el_ash wrote:I just wonder if Konami would have had hired on the Snatcher voice actors to do Policenauts?

would you stop it, I am mad that I have had to wait so long
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Zone of the Enders 2 : The Second Runner

Post by Spike »

Marc wrote:Gatse-->Gates.
Oh. I thought you previously wrote somewhere it wasn't the English name "Gates". :?
Marc wrote:The Snatcher references have been carefully rewritten to match the Sega CD version
SPOILERS MGS4 & POLICENAUTS
Spoiler:
87th wrote:* When Jonathan and Ed are lying on the boat wounded at the end of Act 3, their lines to each other are taken directly from the Epilogue in Policenauts.
Did you keep the MGS4 translation, so the "reference" (well, actually, that's MGS4 referencing Policenauts, but since MGS4 was released in English before Policenauts... :roll: ) wouldn't be lost ?
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

We haven't had an update in a bit, mostly because graphics work is time-consuming... but telops are at a good place. Now, I can throw PNGs into a directory, run a script, and they're in the game! Hooray!

Out of ~30 identified XDT graphical changes (telops and a couple miscellaneous things that work the same way), 25 are now installed. They're not done, because we need to make them look good, but like I said, they're at the point we can just throw PNGs at them, which from a development standpoint, is about the same as done.

I think this week is gonna be finishing up the XDT graphics and then moving onto PAK graphics. Artemio's on movie overlays. PAK doesn't use a compression routine like XDT, so it shouldn't be so bad.

There's 2 SHOTPAC graphics changes, it turns out as well. On the one hand, there's no funky compression algorithms so it won't require much development. On the other, SHOTPAC stuff (motorcycle scene and training/firing range) are really disorganized so finding it is a pain in the ass. (See "Impressive!" stuff from earlier.)

So, here's the road to beta, development-wise.

XDT Graphics
PAK Graphics
Movie Overlays
SHOTPAC Graphics
The End Credits pSX compatibility bug
The Bug List

The Bug List means we get it to a point where everything's installed and then when we're down to zero known bugs, we call beta, test it, and release when we all give approval. Of everything here, that's going to be the most variable part as it's going to go up (as we find more bugs) and down (as we squash them).

There's other stuff likely to go on in parallel, like Marc making tweaks to the script, us arguing about what options are default on, and tweaking the graphics and making sure everything looks right. But it's looking pretty good so far. It's starting to looks like most of the major development hurdles are behind us - we've got some work on PAK already, so hey, there you go.
DarkTetsuya
Runner

Post by DarkTetsuya »

slowbeef wrote:
Marc wrote:Just to recap, we haven't had to cut any text from the game, thanks to the inimitable slowbeef. Not something you want to be forced to do.
For technical reasons I can't get into, though, Jonathan Ingram is now known as Hotpants McGee.
... Sounds like one of those awful english names that Konami came up with back in the day (Really? Higharolla Cockamamie? Really?!)

Anyway, I found that pSX emulator, and it seems to run the game near-perfectly.... so safe to say, I'm all set. (Which is good, because I just don't know enough Japanese to play it at all right now. :P)

Best of luck with the remaining work, I can't wait to play it! (Here's hoping that pSX end credits bug gets squashed, too...)
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Spike wrote:
Marc wrote:Gatse-->Gates.
Oh. I thought you previously wrote somewhere it wasn't the English name "Gates". :?
I may have said that before (I can't remember), but I later realized that it was a misspelling.
Spike wrote:
Marc wrote:The Snatcher references have been carefully rewritten to match the Sega CD version
SPOILERS MGS4 & POLICENAUTS
Spoiler:
87th wrote:* When Jonathan and Ed are lying on the boat wounded at the end of Act 3, their lines to each other are taken directly from the Epilogue in Policenauts.
Did you keep the MGS4 translation, so the "reference" (well, actually, that's MGS4 referencing Policenauts, but since MGS4 was released in English before Policenauts... :roll: ) wouldn't be lost ?
Spoiler:
We're still going through the script and finalizing lines. We haven't decided if we're going to use the same wording, because the contexts aren't the same. Our first priority is to this game, not to potentially force a square into a circle so that we maintain connections with everything in Kojima's universes.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

I'm glad with the changes to the names. Thank god we have you translating/localising it, and not Agnes S. Kaku or, god forbid...Scott Dolph. :wink:
Jack Stern
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
PSN: JackStern

Post by Jack Stern »

About the Epilogue in Policenauts, regarding MGS4...
Spoiler:
In what minute Jonathan and Ed state those lines used in MGS4? (Using this video as reference).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MOwf93hIPI

Their lines' translate the same way in the MGS4's Act?
Also, I'm glad the translation crew is using SegaCD Snatcher as reference for the references.
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

abhi wrote:
el_ash wrote:I just wonder if Konami would have had hired on the Snatcher voice actors to do Policenauts?

would you stop it, I am mad that I have had to wait so long
I know I had my hopes up when I herd rumors about a translation from Konami back in like 1997? ...So I've been waiting 12 years so far.

But I'm not complaining, the team here is doing us all a HUGE favor...
And I don't think some of you guy's realise just how much work they have to do/are doing to make this happen.

I wish there weren't as many "when is it gonna be done" posts....
Because the team is VERY involved in the community here, and are constantly giving us updates.
When it's done I'm sure EVERYONE in the forums will know (it will probebly make some headlines in the gaming world as well).

So they can take another 2 years If they must in my opinion....to get everything done right. :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Henry Spencer wrote:I'm glad with the changes to the names. Thank god we have you translating/localising it, and not Agnes S. Kaku or, god forbid...Scott Dolph. :wink:
You usually only change a name if it's totally unacceptable in the target language (everyone has head of the Dark Phallus example from Phantasy Star), or the translator thinks it sounds too weird (this happens with RPGs in particular). Neither of these are the case with Policenauts. I did want to tidy up some of the spellings, as it just makes everything look nicer.
Jack Stern wrote:About the Epilogue in Policenauts, regarding MGS4...
Spoiler:
In what minute Jonathan and Ed state those lines used in MGS4? (Using this video as reference).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MOwf93hIPI

Their lines' translate the same way in the MGS4's Act?
Spoiler:
2:33-2:39