Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Re: Current Project Status (English Screenshots & Trailers)

Post by 87th »

I don't really see anything wrong about talking about something other than the patch until something major comes up. In fact, I'd recommend it. This topic acts as a kind of general discussion area until the team get to the next major development in the patch's production, at which point, we can all get excited again.

I'm just as eager to play an English-language version of Policenauts as anybody else (hell, I'm quite prepared to call it my new favourite game after I complete it), but I know that the team have done more work than any decent person could possibly ask them to do so far, and if they plan to get to their goal of translating every version of Policenauts out there (they did say that, right?) then there's a lot more for them to do. I don't mean to brown-nose, but from what I've seen, they are doing an excellent job of this, and I support any decision they make with the project as long as it's justified. If they are going to stick with the original team for this, then I can appreciate that.

If you're having trouble waiting for this then stop waiting for it. Find something else to do. At the moment, it's as if everyone's watching the pot as it starts to boil and getting frustrated that there's not enough bubbles coming up.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

I wouldn't mind if they suddenly released the patch out of the blue. It would be a cool surprise, and, frankly, I agree with 87th. This thread serves as general discussion until then. It would be terrible if this entire thread was just, "When is the patch coming out?" and "How much more is left to do?" This is an excellent forum for NOT thinking about it. I'm more occupied with the many different topics, than I am with thinking about the patch. With a forum this good, I don't even feel the pain.
Leon08
Favorite Game: I have too many favorite games

Post by Leon08 »

I know people have waited a long time for the patch but I advice people to play other games or do other things than coming here and complaining when the patch will be release,seriously making a translation for a ps1 game is more than a mission and most of the time progress is super slow if any is made.So if I had to make a guess about the progress I would say with little to no news of any update the past months either they want to surprise everyone with a release of the patch or they are stuck with a problem and haven't been able to solve it.Well with that said hopefully soon they can give a little update good or bad about the current progress because that will calm lots of people down and shoulden't take long for them to write.
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

What do you mean "from what you've seen?"
You can't have seen anything as they haven't shown or told us anything.
Not a single screen shot of the translation has been posted.

Marc, I am extremely grateful that you guys are working on the patch, I realize this is something I could never do myself. But honestly, this is the only translation I have ever seen work this way. The Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Mother3, Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart, Tales of Phantasia, all of these have given some kind of progress, something to at least give you a glimmer of hope. But please answer, why has there not been a trailer or picture posted in this thread?
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Anubis wrote:What do you mean "from what you've seen?"
You can't have seen anything as they haven't shown or told us anything.
Not a single screen shot of the translation has been posted.

Marc, I am extremely grateful that you guys are working on the patch, I realize this is something I could never do myself. But honestly, this is the only translation I have ever seen work this way. The Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Mother3, Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart, Tales of Phantasia, all of these have given some kind of progress, something to at least give you a glimmer of hope. But please answer, why has there not been a trailer or picture posted in this thread?
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ1FpvVZeVA

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv2choncaVs

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo20l2OQXXc

Scans:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6&p=15501#p15501
87th
General
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES

POLICENAUTS SERIES

Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES

OTHER SERIES

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES

Post by 87th »

I was about to make a nearly identical post, but you saved me the hassle, thanks. Marc's also put up a couple of quotes from his version of the script, and they showed a surprising amount of quality and personality (things that are too often lost in fansubs and the like).
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

Don't pull that bullshit on me again

None of those trailers are from the Playstation version of the game. All three of them are TGS game show trailers in fact, and don't show anything related to this translation project. The trailers pertain to the 3DO, Saturn, and PC98 versions of the game.
The only pictures are from a magazine scan from a year ago. But take note, not even those pictures have shown up on the website. There are no pictures here.

It's fantastic that the script shows character, but thats something I'll judge when I see it in the context of the game. How come we are getting quotes of the script but no actual pictures of the script implementation?

I'm not asking for when the patch is going to be released, I'm fine with waiting however long. What I am asking for is that we be shown something, anything related to the project. Tell us why we are sitting here in the dark with our thumbs up our asses. I don't want the patch, I want information.

I'm tired of sitting here listening to everyone rationalize the fact that there isn't shit coming through this forum. It's a great place to talk about other things, but it has utterly failed in its purpose as a forums about the PROJECT STATUS.
Last edited by Anubis on Tue May 06, 2008 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

So what you're saying is that SOME people (including yourself) don't have the self-control to wait for the bloody patch. Geez, as has been said, PSX translation patches take a friggen' TON of work! I don't think you guys understand the amount of time this SHOULD be expected to take. I've seen the work that they had to do on the Dragon Warrior 4 translation patch for PSX and it's ridiculous the various obstacles that the teams must overcome. I too, am waiting for the patch, but it seems to me that not many people here can properly appreciate the fact that a group of people are working on this project ALONG with their regular lives. If they were all getting compensation for this then you could expect it much sooner, but the fact is, THEY AREN'T. It's not like I wouldn't like to see screenshots and all that, but it sounds to me like you guys are worried that this is some type of hoax! YOU KNOW THAT THEY COULD TAKE THE SCREENSHOTS, BUT THEY AREN'T, SO COOL DOWN OKAY GUYS?
Modnar
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Modnar »

Chill out Anubis.

Have some faith in the translation team, If Marc says they're working on it, trust him. They dont have to reveal anything if they dont want to, and they dont need to prove themselves either.

I actually prefer to be in the dark, its alot like with the Star Wars movie, they barely reveal anything until its release. I know the hype Ive built up is gonna make the outcome feeling all the sweeter when I log on one day and see the patch has arrived.
87th
General

SNATCHER SERIES

POLICENAUTS SERIES

BOKTAI SERIES

OTHER SERIES

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES

Post by 87th »

Anubis wrote:Don't pull that bullshit on me again

None of those trailers are from the Playstation version of the game. All three of them are TGS game show trailers in fact, and don't show anything related to this translation project. The trailers pertain to the 3DO, Saturn, and PC98 versions of the game.
The only pictures are from a magazine scan from a year ago. But take note, not even those pictures have shown up on the website. There are no pictures here.

It's fantastic that the script shows character, but thats something I'll judge when I see it in the context of the game. How come we are getting quotes of the script but no actual pictures of the script implementation?

I'm not asking for when the patch is going to be released, I'm fine with waiting however long. What I am asking for is that we be shown something, anything related to the project. Tell us why we are sitting here in the dark with our thumbs up our asses even. I don't want the patch, I want information.

I'm tired of sitting here listening to everyone rationalize the fact that there isn't shit coming through this forum. It's a great place to talk about other things, but it has utterly failed in its purpose as a forums about the PROJECT STATUS.
Be thankful for what you get, you ungrateful sod.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Okay, I think we're being a bit unfair (I know that I shouldn't be one to talk since I did it first). The message I posted was quite a bit unfriendly, so I'm sorry about that. This forum is about a community of people from different places getting together to discuss a particular set of games. We really shouldn't be getting mad at each other over this whole thing. And, like I said, I understand where you're coming from. Some people would like the release to be out of the blue, while others would like it to be foreseeable. Once again, I apologize for the insulting post.
Leon08

Post by Leon08 »

To tell you the truth I have followed many fan translations of many games for different gaming systems and I'm afraid that with pretty much no updates in the past months like I have seen in many other projects people will start to doubt and start to analyze things in a negative way why may you ask because in the past their have been a couple of translation projects that were made public and said things like the patch will be ready in a month and then the month passes and the people are given another excuse and before you know it that month they promise becomes a year or even years until someone comes in out of nowhere to pick up the project work and finish it if it even happens at all.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Leon08 wrote:To tell you the truth I have followed many fan translations of many games for different gaming systems and I'm afraid that with pretty much no updates in the past months like I have seen in many other projects people will start to doubt and start to analyze things in a negative way why may you ask because in the past their have been a couple of translation projects that were made public and said things like the patch will be ready in a month and then the month passes and the people are given another excuse and before you know it that month they promise becomes a year or even years until someone comes in out of nowhere to pick up the project work and finish it if it even happens at all.
That's true. If you look up fan translations on google, you can find a whole website that lists released patches, pre-release patches, and dropped patches. It's surprising that there are so many out there, because some of the game, like dragon warrior 4 (Dragon Quest 4 for those of you who weren't into the series long ago), had poor translations to begin with, and would have a HUGE cult following after their release. This Policenauts patch seems the most real to me as far as actually being finished.
Ace Attorney

Post by Ace Attorney »

I think we all need to realize and accept that this patch is never coming out. The whole translation project was a ruse, any and every screen shot or trailer out there was carefully crafted to keep this almost 4 year joke rolling along.

Great one, guys. You really had my hopes up for some time, that whole magazine interview bit was absolute gold.

=D>
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

Did you not read my post?
I'm not looking for a release date. If it takes another year for the patch to be released than so be it, I'll gladly wait. I understand that people are busy with their regular lives. What I am asking for is a reason that we've been left in the dark.

I'm not making any accusations that this post is a giant hoax either, I'm just stating the truth, that there has been very few posts that relate to progress.

I don't understand why you all seem to not understand that nothing has been shown for this translation. I understand that I'm coming across may come across as ungrateful, but that isn't my intention. I respect your comments, but I would prefer if Marc (or Jonathan Ingram, but I've never seen him post on this board) gave an answer.

And 87th, why don't you not call me an ungrateful sod, when you know just as little about this patch as I do. I see that your more than willing to sit blindly, but I'm getting tired of it. Why don't you come up with an answer to my question instead of insulting me?
87th
General

SNATCHER SERIES

POLICENAUTS SERIES

BOKTAI SERIES

OTHER SERIES

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES

Post by 87th »

Anubis wrote:And 87th, why don't you not call me an ungrateful sod, when you know just as little about this patch as I do. I see that your more than willing to sit blindly, but I'm getting tired of it. Why don't you come up with an answer to my question instead of insulting me?
Well, judging by the disrespect you're giving the team, I didn't really have a problem with being so blunt. I've only seen one question-mark in your previous post, so I assume that's the question you're challenging me to answer. I'm not working on the Policenauts patch, so I can't tell you why the team haven't put out more screenshots, but they already shown a few in Marc's interview with GamesTM. I'm sure you don't feel the same, but I was quite grateful, having seen the few that have been shown.

If you'd like to see more screenshots, I'm sure they'd appreciate it a little more if you asked for them, rather than demanding them and paranoiacally shouting "hoax!".
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

87th wrote:
Anubis wrote:And 87th, why don't you not call me an ungrateful sod, when you know just as little about this patch as I do. I see that your more than willing to sit blindly, but I'm getting tired of it. Why don't you come up with an answer to my question instead of insulting me?
Well, judging by the disrespect you're giving the team, I didn't really have a problem with being so blunt. I've only seen one question-mark in your previous post, so I assume that's the question you're challenging me to answer. I'm not working on the Policenauts patch, so I can't tell you why the team haven't put out more screenshots, but they already shown a few in Marc's interview with GamesTM. I'm sure you don't feel the same, but I was quite grateful, having seen the few that have been shown.

If you'd like to see more screenshots, I'm sure they'd appreciate it a little more if you asked for them, rather than demanding them and paranoiacally shouting "hoax!".
I joined more recently, and I have to admit, the screenshots don't really do much for me. I think, since I joined after they were posted, it doesn't seem at all current. For those of you that have been here a while, it probably seems much more like a landmark.
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

My question more specifically would be,

Why do the fans of this project know so little? Why are they left almost completely in the dark?

At no point have I screamed hoax on the patch or demanded screen shots. I would like you to find the sentence were I claim that the patch is fake, or the sentence where I demand pictures. There is no doubt on my mind that they are working diligently on the patch. What I am bothered with is that it's been four years and the only visible screen shots are from a magazine from a year ago. Also, upon closer inspection, every single one of those screen captures are from the very beginning of the game. All but one is from the opening scene, and that other one is the scenario directly after that. This isn't my opinion, this is the truth.

And while I may have been "blunt and disrespectful" I'm not making invalid arguments. Read my posts more thoroughly. I'm not demanding the patch and I'm not demanding screen shots (although they would be nice). What I am demanding is a reason to why there are roughly 50 pages of filler and bullshitting on a forum about the project status. I'm asking for a reason why there aren't any screen shots.

I understand why you think I'm being disrespectful and rude. While that was not my intention at all, I can completely see why you would think that. From all the time I've spent watching this board I've seen no-one ask the questions that I felt needed to be asked.

There are only two statements that are mentioned about the patch here. First is someone asking when the patch is going to be released. (Metal Gear Alex I'm looking at you). Second is someone trying to be helpful and offer advice. Both of these are met with the same answers over and over again. (1) It'll be done when it's done or (2) That's the not the problem. What this tells me is that the right questions aren't being asked.

I've done my best to present a decent argument, but all I've been met with are cries of douchbaggery and hostility. I can understand that I'm coming on way to strong, and that I'm making myself out to be an ass.
What I don't understand is how you can't seem to understand where I'm coming from. All I have stated are simple facts, and to tell the truth the facts are rather disheartening.
87th
General

SNATCHER SERIES

POLICENAUTS SERIES

BOKTAI SERIES

OTHER SERIES

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES

Post by 87th »

I know that Marc and Artemio are very insistent that they don't want to reveal any spoilers detailing the game's plot, so that would explain why the only revealed material has been from the start of the game.

Marc's said countless times before that the only reason there's been no news is that there's no news to report. Although I doubt it's as simple as that, I don't think there's been any notable progress for a good long time. The previous note was that the cutscene subtitles had all been finished, but the in-game subtitles were still glitchy. Since there's been no updates, I guess that's still the case.
Leon08

Post by Leon08 »

87th wrote:I know that Marc and Artemio are very insistent that they don't want to reveal any spoilers detailing the game's plot, so that would explain why the only revealed material has been from the start of the game.

Marc's said countless times before that the only reason there's been no news is that there's no news to report. Although I doubt it's as simple as that, I don't think there's been any notable progress for a good long time. The previous note was that the cutscene subtitles had all been finished, but the in-game subtitles were still glitchy. Since there's been no updates, I guess that's still the case.
I agree about the reason why there has not been any updates showing any screen shots or video's.But can they just give a mini update saying we are alive and have not made any progress if that's the case.
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

I can see you browsing the boards Artemio.
What are your thoughts on this conversation?
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

I have refrained to reply since Marc has not been around, so any views contained in this message are mine alone and not the official ones from the full project staff.

There have been no updates to the page or announcements because there has been no progress to report. That is what we have said in the past and I maintain that. The project FAQ details this and it is the real status, we are hiding nothing. You know that I am not the actual developer right now, and hence I prefer not to go into detail of something I don't have my hands fully in.

I'd love to retake this personally, and I'd love to take a vacation in order to do so, but my company and the work I do at it have kept me from doing it. if I were 10 years younger and in college, I bet you I would be fully into hacking the text into the thing. I must say that I really love that kind of work, but it is the kind of thing that demands full attention and long periods of time dedicated to it.

I must assure you, for what it is worth, that the images on that magazine are real. They are not photoshopped at all. We indeed released those since we don't want to give any details about the plot. If you have a grasp of what the translation of a game implies, you'll certainly know that it is not a linear process. You don't "start from the beginning" and begin inserting in a progressive order. If that was possible it would imply that we have access to way more information about the original game structure and source code, which we don't. It is just a huge pile of data that makes sense in Playstation assembly and to the tools used to create the data packs for the game. So, the work is done "in bulk" you simply place the text in the appropriate places the whole thing works or it doesn't.

From that point on, the work that needs to be done is either altering the text printing routine or hacking the assembly code in such a way that it produces the actual thing you want it to: an English version of the game.

I must accentuate that I am not talking about the actual translation of this project, I am speaking in general terms for any translation of this kind.

I must say again that I am not the man with his hands on the number crunching, and I'd live to be that guy, but I've not had the time to do that personally. Hence I cannot give you the exact status because I am not the guy doing it. If it were me, I'd post my findings and current problem.

But the things needed are the same as always, a developer with the time, tools and knowledge to finish it. We already have someone qualified working on that, but his time is limited. Just as mine. I know that I could do it with the time, but I simply have not had it. if you know someone that is willing to give the time, knows Psx assembly, has a real PSX, a computer to code in that is capable of running the emu and interested in the project, I am sure we could work with him inside the team to speed things up.

Years ago when I set up Junker HQ that was its real goal: to assemble the team. A cry out to the internet to find the people who could help me. I was starting my company back then, and had more time than I do now. And it certainly worked. Marc jumped in and he has been the best man to do the job that I could have ever hoped to find. Not only did he know Japanese very well, he also cared deeply about the work and the subtleties. You can't imagine how many times we spoke on MSN while he was translating, and he spent hours searching for specific words for sentences trying to accomplish the original meaning, of course I helped as much as I could in that way and I loved working. But I am going a bit off topic here, and Marc's contributions are far from being questioned here. He was not the only one to help and I don't want to diminish James', James_The_Stampede or any other contributors' work.

My point with the above is that in all those years there had not been a single soul that can offer the help that was needed. Only one did, and he demonstrated he could do it. And hence, we depend on his work now and on his time.

We have said so in the past and we have come as clear as possible with all this. Or at least we have tried. We have not replied here because we believe there is not much more to say so far, but if you guys feel we must place a post here saying "we are still alive, there is no new progress sorry" I'll do that myself.

I must again say that I will keep the site and forums running for as long as it is needed. And I know that I speak for Marc as well when I say that the project will not die and that we will deliver.

I believe I have not much more to say, but if you have specific things that want answered, please feel free to state them.

Once again, these are just my thoughts and opinions, and not the official position of the Policenauts Translation Project.

Best regards

Artemio
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

Well said
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

I am aware that hacking is not a straight forward shot, I only brought that into question the beginning screens to show how little we knew. I have to say that I do have the utmost gratitude for the attention your putting into this. Thank you for the well thought out response.

If I may, what kind of company do you run?
Last edited by Anubis on Tue May 06, 2008 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Thank you for your post Artemio. It was well written, and it's a good sum up of the project status.
Going along with Anubis' question, what type of business is it, and is it international or local?