Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Every time that this topic goes off topic, we halt development for a few weeks... We also destroy some Policenauts related merchandise to raise the market prices if a picture is posted.
Spoiler:
You can check out this thread for the info you seek, or read the newsletter.

P.S. we would never damage any Policenauts Merchandise =P
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Ace Attorney

Post by Ace Attorney »

I have been following this thread for a long time (about a year) so i'm all caught up in that sense, but there's really been no update for a looooooooong time.

like you guys forgot about it and decided to call it quits.

:cry:

Could you give us a rough idea of how much more needs to be done?

:razz:
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

While we may not see this patch finished anytime soon, I'm confident that they are still planning to finish it. Not to mention they updated about a month and a half ago (after a VERY long hiatus), so I wouldn't be worried about it. It'll come out when it comes out.
Ace Attorney

Post by Ace Attorney »

I tried signing up for the newsletter 2 different times, i've never recieved a single one.

>=/
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

I signed up several times, but I never got any of the newsletters. Eventually I found this: http://policenauts.net/mlist/archives.p ... 1&msg_id=4
Hopefully that works for you.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Ace Attorney wrote:I have been following this thread for a long time (about a year) so i'm all caught up in that sense, but there's really been no update for a looooooooong time.

like you guys forgot about it and decided to call it quits.

:cry:

Could you give us a rough idea of how much more needs to be done?

:razz:
That's been covered several times in the last month as well, in this same thread. But the way to go is the news page or the newsletter link that JimboKudo just posted. Don't expect we'll be updating with "there is no news" every week. I believe I already typed that as well =P
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

I've also been following the website for about half a year.
The wait is killing me
It's interesting to compare this and the Mother 3 translation and see the different attitudes you guys have taken.

/Is it strange that my two most anticipated games are fan translations?
Mother 3 and Policenauts ftw
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

It is not that we don't want to give updates Anubis, if you track down the information years back, you'll notice we used to have detailed news on every item we could. The thing is, we don't have much to report and when there is news, you'll certainly know it.

The message you should take from us is simple: we won't give up, and it will be done. It will certainly take time. We are not holding anything at all. We certainly appreciate all the support and interest, but as we've said in the past patience is the best strategy in this case, for all of us.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

I understand
Just gotta give it time
Anyways, Have any of you guys ever played Cave Story?
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Hey hey hey, guys guys guys! So I was reading the manga Crying Freeman today, and I noticed this particular character...
Her name is Kiche, an african-american assassin. She attempts the life of the protagonist after painting her skin white in disguise. Then she struck this pose that kindof reminded me of someone.
She strikes that pose a couple times. Time for comparison shots!
Well, at least now we know why Meryl has an afro. BTB, Crying Freeman's circa 1986, if anyone's wondering.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Ha, god damn. Poses and everything. Cheers for that, shids. Kinda reminds me of Ed's daughter Anna too.

On the flip side, does anyone think Damon Gant from Phoenix Wright is kind of a Gatse Becker clone?
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Great find shidoni, I only watched the anime... maybe I'll take a look at the manga.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Anubis wrote:I understand
Just gotta give it time
Anyways, Have any of you guys ever played Cave Story?
(I guess people missed this post, or they aren't freeware gamers)
Yeah, I've played and beaten cave story twice, and I'm going to start it again if I can find the time (lots of ps2 games to beat). Luckily, I can play it on my psp, which is nice for road trips and stuff. I hope that Pixel releases another game soon (Cave Story is a master piece). I actually overlooked the game several times, when I saw screenshots at caimangames, but I was REALLY bored one night (and my laptop only has 24bit graphics,so...) and I gave it a shot. As soon as you get ahold of your first weapon it's extremely addictive.
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

Cave Story is my single favorite game of all time. It's amazing that it was a free game.
I've beaten it twice on PC, once on psp, and soon on DS. It's just that damn good.
As far as other games, Pixel has released a few.

There is Ikachan, which is an interesting game he made while working on Cave STory. He also just released a shooter earlier last year called Guxt. He has also reported that he is going to be working on an RPG, which could be amazing.

If you couldn't tell, I'm a bit of a fan of the mans work.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

I've beaten Ika-chan once. It took me several hours because the translation was so poor. I guess that was part of the fun. I don't know if you've played it yet, but the music is excellent. And speaking of music. Do you have a favorite Cave Story bg music? Mine is the one where you finally make it onto the top of the island (before the BIG boss fight).
As for Guxt, last time I checked I held the highest score online :grin: Unfortunately, since my computer sucks (1998) it's a bit difficult to play those "high graphics" computer games.
If you haven't played his game Megane, then you should. It seems kinda pointless and ridiculous at first, but if you make it past the first set of stages there are actually alternate endings and stuff.
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

I think somebody re-translated Ikachan actually.
I have yet to really put any time into Guxt, I'm going to though when I finish the games I'm playing. (Right now I'm working my way through Mother 1)

Yea. I'm a pretty big fan of the music. Moonsong and the main theme are my favorite songs, but I have a soft spot for all of them. I just recently found piano remixes of the songs and its great. I was disappointed in the remix project though. While some of the songs were great, some not as much.
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

Wow, you guys are exactly where I'm at in my game-playing - I finished Earthbound to return to the fan-titled Earthbound Zero, then went onto Cave Story. Is anyone just now starting the Half-Life series? :razz:

I've been addicted to Cave Story since a pal of mine showcased it for me on his Mac. I knew the second I saw it (and heard it) that it would be a worthwhile play, and, indeed, it turned out to be the best freeware game I've ever played! I recommend it to anyone who enjoys the NES Mega Man games, in particular - Cave Story is a near-perfect experience.

Here are the download links:
PC Version: http://homepage2.nifty.com/rochet/storage/dou_1006.zip
English Patch: http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=cavestory

Mac Version: http://www.nakiwo.com/software.htm
English Patch: http://www.wctc.net/%7Eluvmimac/cavestory/

As far as Policenauts goes, I became frustrated after seeing how hopeful the last update was, only to see the developed slowed. (Though the reasons, as I've stated in the past, are fully understandable.) On a related note, I've been reading the Mother 3 Patch updates over at fobby.net since the beginning, and I much prefer the insight over the silence. Nevertheless, that's a personal preference. I support the Policenauts.net team fully, and appreciate everything they've been doing for us. No matter what, as long as development continues, I will be here contributing.

I never realized how much we all have in common. Considering that there are hundreds of games, it's odd that some of us are playing the same few. I'm admittedly a bit weirded out. :shock:
Sure, mainstream games are fun, but you haven't tried Snatcher yet.
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

Just to be semi scary, I'm actually just a few hours into Half Life 2.
I'm at the part where you
Spoiler:
Fight the helicopter while in the airboat.
I'm playing on 360 since my computer isn't nearly good enough to run it.
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

I should note that I play like 10 games at a time though, and just play Cave Story randomly. It's sorta become like going through a level in super mario brothers on NES.
(A much harder SMB though)

Games that I'm working my way through at the moment
Mother 1
Night's into Dreams
Burning Rangers
Half Life 2
Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword
Final Fantasy - Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
Psychonauts

And others that I occasionally pick up
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

I remember playing Mother 1 a LONG time ago. I think that's the one where you have to go into the basement and fights rats. Also, I destinctly remember fighting a lamp early on. I think it was called Earthbound Zero, when I played it.
As for Guxt, it's a very simple shoot-em-up, which is actually quite good. I liked Megane more though. Here's a link to megane if you want to play it http://shii.org/pixel/glasses.zip hope that works.
Anyway, I don't know if you guys know or not, but there's actually a cave story level editor that comes with the special edition of cave story (it just includes cave story, ika-chan with a better translation, and the level editor). I tried my hand at it, and it is very intuitive, but I'd rather just wait and see Pixel's next creation instead of building my own, which would pale in comparison.
ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

Wow.
I mean, WOW. This translation is awesome, I just can't believe it. Everything is so perfect and detailed, it is even better than some official localizations.
I don't know if Artemio has sent the patch to anyone else, because no one else commented about it. Maybe they're all playing like crazy :x
Actually, I did that, completed the first arc and then had to stop. And now I have classes, so it's the shit. But I'm so addicted to the game!
Thanks everyone for this great project, it was worth the wait, every second of it.
I'll report bugs if I notice anything, but I think that won't happen seeing how perfect this all is.
Again, thank you so much!
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"
Modnar
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Modnar »

ShinjiPG wrote:Wow.
I mean, WOW. This translation is awesome, I just can't believe it. Everything is so perfect and detailed, it is even better than some official localizations.
I don't know if Artemio has sent the patch to anyone else, because no one else commented about it. Maybe they're all playing like crazy :x
Actually, I did that, completed the first arc and then had to stop. And now I have classes, so it's the shit. But I'm so addicted to the game!
Thanks everyone for this great project, it was worth the wait, every second of it.
I'll report bugs if I notice anything, but I think that won't happen seeing how perfect this all is.
Again, thank you so much!
APRIL FOOLS DAY!!!!!!
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Yeah, Shinji did the same thing last year.
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

Blah...
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

I've noticed TUS are also making an April Fools Joke. :grin: